Westermo’s Ethernet extender technology based on SHDSL makes it possible to reuse many types of pre-existing copper cables, which can lead to considerable financial savings when installing new systems. DDW-242 allows effective Ethernet networks to be created over long distances (up to 15 km (9.3 mi)) at data rates up to 15.3 Mbit/s on a single twisted pair cable. By using two pairs “bonded” this rate can be doubled up to 30.6 Mbit/s. The integral switch allows 2 Ethernet devices to be attached and an RS-232 port allows for a legacy piece of equipment to be incorporated into the IP network.
The WeOS (Westermo Operating Systems) has been developed to allow cross platform and future proof solutions. WeOS can deliver unique security functionality for this class of product as well as allowing the DDW-242 to form part of a resilient multimedia ring network using the Westermo FRNT protocol or industry standard STP/RSTP. WeOS has been developed to provide industrial networking solutions and contains amazing serial connectivity capability – from being able to simulate an old AT modem, convert Modbus RTU to TCP or encapsulate serial data into an IP packet. The DDW-242 is
incredibly flexible and easy to use. A basic point-to-point or multidrop network can be created without the need for any
kind of configuration.
The DDW-242 is often used in applications on railways, roads or with utilities where failure could result in significant costs. All Westermo products are designed with high MTBF in mind to improve operational reliability and also give long service life. Even features like the SHDSL diagnostics and management allow indication of line degradation allowing planned maintenance. As the unit is designed for these applications Westermo also ensure that testing is carried out to ensure the unit can operate at extremes of temperature, EMC and vibration and still provide robust communications.
Features and Benefits
Save time and money reusing old cable and equipment
- Up to 15.3 Mbit/s Ethernet over twisted pair or 30.6 Mbit/s with bonding
- Advanced WeOS layer 3 functionality
- Legacy connection via RS-232 port
Security, legacy resilient networking from WeOS
- Network IP Security and remote access
- Port access control and firewall
- VPN tunnels over SHDSL
Easy to Use
- Basic installation with no configuration needed
- Web screen for simple configuration and CLI for professional use
- USB fluid configuration for easy maintenance
Robustly designed for mission critical applications
- 437,000 hours MTBF to MIL- HDBK -217F for extreme reliability
- Extensive line diagnostics and fault I/O contact and SNMPv3
- Robust design for vibration, temperature and dual power input